Thursday, 26 May 2011

Villains - complete

I've been working on my trilogy of Captain Chair novels for coming up for 5 years now. And as of yesterday, I can say that I'm finished.


Kind of.



When I write, the first draft of something I wouldn't dare to give to anyone to read. It's usually pretty terrible. Poor grammar, plotlines that go no where, characters who don't seem to do anything... For that first pass all I'm trying to do is get my ideas on the page.

It's only after I've been through it again - possibly a couple of times - and cleaned up everything that I'm happy to give it to someone to read, critique and then correct as necessary.

This is the stage I'm at with my third Captain Chair book - Villains. The main story is done, which means the main story of the whole trilogy is done.

This is kind of an odd feeling. The next thing I'll write won't be Captain Chair. It won't have anything to do with the world I've been writing about for five years. This is exciting and also a little daunting. The universe I'd created was a happy place for me, somewhere I knew inside out. Now I have to begin from scratch, building the world from the ground up, with a completely new cast of characters.

So now I have to decide which, of the several story ideas I've been thinking up for the past few months, to work on next. Do I work on another novel-length story or try something shorter? I'm not sure at the moment. I have a feeling I'll begin working on an idea and quickly find that something isn't right with it and start again on something else.

Of course after a short break, and once I've received some feedback from Villains, I'll have all sorts of rewriting to do so my work in that world isn't quite finished. But it's definitely the beginning of the end.

In the meantime, if anyone wants to have a read through and pass their opinion then just give me a shout and I'd be happy to send you a copy - even if you only have bad things to say!

No comments:

Post a Comment